Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Updates, home and abroad

Over the past week, there have been a few minor updates in my research efforts. I have found another amazing resource and ran into a delay in returning the prayer flag to Mr. Furuya's son.

On the homefront
Thanks to my aunt Deb, I have found a new wealth of information to aid in my research and identification of the men in the many photos that Grandpa took while at Camp Pendleton, Camp Maui and Pearl Harbor. Using the web site Ancestry.com, I have been able to find almost a dozen family members and have already been in contact with relatives of David Aden Holst and Joseph Leo Cain.

While the veterans have unfortunately passed away, they are survived by wives, sons, daughters and other extended family members and I'm hopeful that I will be able to pass along the photos from the war.

Abroad
A week after receiving a letter from Japan, the flag belonging to the son of Shinzo Furuya is still counted among the treasures in Grandpa's war collection. Originally, I had planned on going to the post office this past Saturday and taking the necessary precautions to ensure this precious heirloom would find it's way to Japan safe and sound. Recent events, however, have forced me to reconsider that decision. With the horrific devastation that has hit Japan, I decided that I would hold on to the flag until I am able to establish communication with the War Victims' Relief Bureau in Tokyo.

This morning, I sent an email to the contact I've been working with, asking for a recommendation on when and if I should mail the package and whether they would have the capacity or resources to deliver it to Yamanashi Prefecture where the son lives.

2 comments:

  1. Wish you and Kathleen could afford the trip there to deliver it yourself. Might want to look into this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That would be fun, but don't think we could swing that trip (unless you are donating to the cause?) :)

    Plus, the office said that they are responsible for the delivery...they act as an intermediary between the families.

    ReplyDelete