Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In need of some help

As everyone following this blog knows, one of the driving forces behind my research is the desire to return the photos, flags, and personal memories home to the families of the Japanese soldiers who carried them into battle during the war. So far, I have been able to return two items - the prayer flag and a photo. There are still about 13 individual items left and I think I need some help.

When I started this journey, as with many other projects and ideas that I have, the concept was perfect - locate the families, send the items to Japan and make someone happy.

Thankfully this is all coming true, but with one practical implication that is going to quickly become a challenge - the financial resources required to carefully package and ship items more than 65 years old with a lifetime of sentimentally back to the office in Tokyo. For just two of the 15 items, the cost has been $45 - for the remaining 13 items, it will be at least $200, assuming I do not add delivery confirmation or tracking to the packages. That added peace of mind doubles the cost to around $400. (I know this is starting to sound like Sally Struthers and the "for pennies a day" infomercials, so please forgive me!)

If anyone is able to donate a little to the shipping fund, I would sincerely appreciate it. Even if I am not able to raise any donations, I am still going to continue this effort - Kathleen and I may just have to skip a couple dinners at our favorite Mexican place! This is important to me and something that I feel strongly about, but some help would mean a lot.

If you are able, feel free to send me an email and we can work out the best way to send the money - I can do PayPal, ING person-to-person or check. And it does not have to be a lot and it does not have to be all at once. Today, I have only returned two items - I do not know if they will find more families or not. I pray that they do, but for now that $200 or $400 is what will be spent if I am able to return everything.

Thank you for all of the support you have given so far - it really does mean a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment